pop up(redirected from popping up)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
To suddenly appear or become available. Problems started popping up as soon as the software went live. The next page will pop up in a moment, just give it a second to load. Look at all the bubbles popping up on the surface—something must be swimming down there.
pop something up
to remove something by making it jump or burst upwards. Henry popped the lid up and helped himself to the strawberry preserves. He popped up the lid and cleaned out the jam jar.
pop up (some place)
to appear suddenly and unexpectedly some place. I never know where Henry is going to pop up next. A new problem has popped up.
1. [for a baseball batter] to hit a baseball that goes high upward rather than outward. The catcher came to bat and popped up. I hope I don't pop up this time.
2. [for a baseball] to fly high upward rather than outward. The ball popped up and went foul. The ball will always pop up if you hit it in a certain way.
3. to arise suddenly; to appear without warning. New problems keep popping up all the time. Billy popped up out of nowhere and scared his mother.
Suddenly appear, as in After a brief warm spell all the flowers popped up, or He's constantly popping up where he's least expected.
1. To cause something to jump upwards, often with a short, sharp, explosive sound: The batter popped up a fly ball to center field, where it was caught. I wedged a crowbar under the lid of the crate and popped it up.
2. To appear suddenly or unexpectedly: He dived under the water and popped up at the other end of the pool. The doctor told me to call her if any new symptoms pop up.