pop out(redirected from popped out)
1. To jump, burst, or leap out. I went to open the mailbox, and I nearly got a heart attack when a raccoon popped out! The kids popped out from behind the couch to surprise their mother for her birthday. A bunch of confetti popped out of the party cracker.
2. To leave (some place) for a brief period of time. Dan just popped out to get some hamburger meat from the butcher. Would you mind the phone lines? I'm going to pop out for a bit of fresh air.
3. To cause something to become dislodged or released from something by applying force or pressure to it. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "pop" and "out." I accidentally popped one of the lenses out of my glasses while I was cleaning it. Just pop out the batteries and replace them with fresh ones.
pop out (of something)
to jump out of something; to burst out of something. Suddenly, a little mouse popped out of the drawer. I opened the drawer and a mouse popped out.
1. To jump or burst out of something: I wound the jack-in-the-box until the puppet popped out.
2. To appear suddenly from within or behind something: Suddenly, a bear popped out from the bushes.
3. To cause something to be removed or released, especially with a small, quick push: The kids accidentally popped out the bottom pane of the window. The memory chip in my computer was broken, so I popped it out and installed a new one.
4. To leave briefly: He'll be back in a minute—he just popped out to get some coffee.