Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia.
1. To quit or give up something due to exhaustion or fatigue. I thought I would be able to make it to the end of the race, but I pooped out after the fifth mile. You can't keep working the team like this, or they'll poop out and the project will never get finished at all.
2. To cause someone become exhausted or fatigued. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "poop" and "out." Running around with my grandson all afternoon really pooped me out! I think the change in elevation during the hike pooped out my father-in-law quicker than he was expecting.
Very exhausted or fatigued, especially from physical exertion. I was really pooped out after running around with my grandson all afternoon! Don't hike too far or you'll be too pooped to hike all the way back.
poop someone or something out
Inf. to cause someone to become exhausted or give out. All that exercise really pooped everyone out. A full day of play at the beach had pooped the dog out. The activity pooped out the dog.
Inf. to quit; to wear out and stop. He pooped out after about an hour of hard work. I think I'm going to poop out pretty soon.
1. Tire out, exhaust, as in I ran about ten miles, but then I was too pooped out to go on.
2. Quit, decide not to participate, especially at the last minute. For example, We had about twenty signed up for the seminar, but then half of them pooped out. [Slang; late 1800s]
1. To make someone exhausted; tire someone out: That long walk uphill really pooped me out.
2. To quit something because of exhaustion: Too tired to continue, he pooped out of the race.
3. To decide not to participate, especially at the last moment: She was going to help me, but she pooped out and didn't come.
in. to quit; to wear out and stop. (see also pooped (out).) He pooped out after about an hour.
1. mod. exhausted; worn-out. (Said of a person or an animal.) The horse looked sort of pooped in the final stretch.
2. mod. alcohol intoxicated. He’s been drinking all night and is totally pooped out.