plug(redirected from plugs)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Related to plugs: Banana plugs
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
1. noun, informal A favorable public mention or advertisement for something, as during a broadcast or interview. I'd be happy to come on your morning radio show, so long as you're willing to give my new memoir a plug on the air.
2. noun, slang A bullet or gunshot. Don't worry about the witness. A plug to the head will keep him quiet.
3. noun, slang An old, worn-out, or inferior horse. He used to have potential for the race tracks, but this old plug ain't worth the hay it costs to feed him.
4. verb, informal To publicize or advertise (something) during or as a part of something, such as a broadcast or interview. Thank you for joining me on this episode of my podcast. Do you have any upcoming projects you'd like to plug? Look, the only reason celebrities go on these talk shows is to plug their new movie or book or whatever.
5. verb, slang To shoot (someone or something) with a gun. The assassin emerged from the crowd and plugged the politician in the gut.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. n. a bite-sized, pressed mass of chewing tobacco. He put a plug in his cheek and walked away.
2. n. a drink of beer; a slug of beer. Let me have a plug out of that bottle.
3. n. a free advertisement or a commercial boost from someone for a product. (see also plugola.) I managed to get a plug on the Mike Michael show.
4. tv. to give an advertisement or commercial boost for something without having to pay for it. I want to get on that TV program and plug my new book.
5. Go to pluck.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
- be not worth a plug nickel
- be plugged in
- be plugged into (something)
- get plugged into (something)
- not worth a damn
- not worth a plug nickel
- not worth a plugged nickel
- peg away at
- plug (something) into (something)
- plug along
- plug away
- plug away (at something)
- plug in
- plug into
- plug out
- plug up
- plugged in
- plugged in, be
- plugging along
- pull the plug
- pull the plug (on someone or something)
- pull the plug on
- pull the plug on someone/something
- pull the plug on something
- put a plug in
- put a plug in for (someone or something)
- put a/the plug in the jug
- put in a plug for (someone or something)
- spark plug