plough the sand
plow the sands
To do something that seems futile. I know that I'm just plowing the sands by telling you to stay away from that boy, but I'm your father, and I don't want to see you get hurt. That couch will never fit up the steps—tell them to stop plowing the sands!
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
plough the sandlabour uselessly.
Ploughing the sand has been a proverbial image of fruitless activity since the late 16th century.
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017
- address (one's) comments to (someone or something)
- address comments or remarks to
- address (one's) remarks to (someone or something)
- be at a disadvantage
- at a disadvantage
- be (as) serious as a heart attack
- a run on (something)
- a rush on (something)
- at the point of (doing something)
- (the) odds are against (something)