play with (one)
play with (one)
1. Literally, to engage in play alongside or in tandem with one. Why don't you go outside and play with your brother? No one wants to play with me. Everyone's too busy.
2. To tease, fool, or joke with one. I'm just playing with you, Tom—I'm not upset at all! I thought you were being serious—don't play with me like that!
3. To deliberately attempt to evade, deceive, or misinform one (about something) in order to manipulate them or achieve some desired outcome. Quit playing with me, Karen—I know that you're involved in this deal! The serial killer is playing with the police, leaving false clues everywhere to muddy the investigation.
play something with someone or something
1. to play a game with someone or a group. Do you want to play checkers with me? Fran played ball with the dog for a while.
2. to assume a particular role with someone or some group. Don't play the fool with me! Don always tried to play the successful entrepreneur with the board of directors.
play with someone or something
1. to play games with someone or a group. I love to play Ping-Pong. Will you play with me? They won't play with our team. We are too good.
2. to toy with someone or something. You are just playing with me. Can't you take me seriously? Please don't play with that crystal vase.
1. To engage in a sport, game, or other recreation with someone: I played chess with my brother until midnight.
2. To amuse or distract oneself by manipulating something: He sat playing with a rubber band throughout the lecture.
3. To jest with someone: I was just playing with you when I said I was angry.
4. To tamper with something: Someone played with my computer while I was gone.
5. To treat something casually or without seriousness; flirt with something: She played with the idea of going back to college.
6. To experiment with something: He played with many different hairstyles before choosing one he liked.
7. To manipulate or arrange something in a skillful manner: I like the way your poem plays with language.
play with (oneself)Vulgar Slang