play each side against the other(redirected from play each side against each other)
play each side against the other
To manipulate two opposing sides of an argument, conflict, competition, etc., against one another for one's own benefit or advantage. My father and my uncle are engaged in a bitter business rivalry. If I can play each side against the other, I might be able to secure some sizeable investments for my own company. Janet really dislikes Mary and wants to date her boyfriend Mike, so she's been playing each side against the other to get them to break up.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
- play (someone) off against (someone)
- play both ends
- play both ends against the middle
- play both ends against the middle, to
- play both sides against the middle
- play each end against the other
- play off against
- play one against another
- play one end against the other
- play one off against another/each other/the other