play each end against the other(redirected from play each end against each other)
play each end against the other
To manipulate two opposing sides of an argument, conflict, competition, etc., against one another for one's own benefit or advantage. My father and my uncle are engaged in a bitter business rivalry. If I can play each end against the other, I might be able to secure some sizeable investments for my own company. Janet really dislikes Mary and wants to date her boyfriend Mike, so she's been playing each end against the other to get them to break up.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
- play (someone) off against (someone)
- play both ends
- play both ends against the middle
- play both ends against the middle, to
- play each side against the other
- play off against
- play one against another
- play one end against the other
- play one off against another/each other/the other
- play one side against the other