play by (one's) own rules(redirected from play by my own rules)
play by (one's) own rules
To adhere to or follow only the guidelines or conditions set by oneself, rather than those imposed by someone else. I hated the oppressive corporate environment, so I started my own firm so I could play by my own rules. If you want to write for this paper, kid, you work for me, so you can't just play by your own rules!
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
- for (one's) (own) sake
- for sake
- keep (someone or something) in sight
- keep in sight
- keep sight of
- keep sight of (someone or something)
- keep sight of somebody/something
- leave (someone, something, or oneself) (wide) open for (something)
- leave oneself wide open for
- leave (someone, something, or oneself) (wide) open to (something)