plastic(redirected from plastically)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
A forced, artificial smile; a smile someone wears despite having no feelings of happiness or joy. John seemed fine at first glance, but before long I could tell that he was wearing a plastic grin and that something was bothering him. Look at his big plastic grin—he's such a con man! I sure hope he doesn't win the election.
1. adjective Trying and failing to affect the outrageous, anti-establishment, countercultural looks, attitudes, and styles made popular in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Sometimes hyphenated. The theme park has this plastic punk vibe that you can tell was carefully calculated in a board room somewhere by a bunch of rich old men. I was in this plastic-punk band back in college, before I got a handle on the type of music I really wanted to make.
2. noun A person, band, or type of music that tries and fails to replicate punk rock or punk rockers from the late 1970s or early 1980s. The bands my teenager listens to are all these plastic punks trying so desperately to rage against the machine, conveniently forgetting that they are very much a part of that machine. You're not a punk just because you listen to a couple Sex Pistols albums. You're just a plastic punk, at best.
A forced, artificial smile; a smile someone wears despite having no feelings of happiness or joy. John seemed fine at first glance, but before long, I could tell that he was wearing a plastic smile and that something was bothering him. Look at that his big plastic smile—he's such a conman! I sure hope he doesn't win the election.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. mod. phony; false. She wears too much makeup and looks totally plastic.
2. n. a plastic credit card. I don’t carry any cash, just plastic.
3. mod. having to do with credit cards and their use. There is too much plastic debt in most households.
n. falsely stylish. Isn’t all punk really plastic punk?
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.