plan on(redirected from plans on)
1. To anticipate and make arrangements or preparations for something that might happen in the future. We hadn't planned on so many people trying to get into the show, and we unfortunately ran out of tickets very early on. Drivers should plan on long delays on I-75 this morning.
2. To make preparations for someone or a group of people. You're more than welcome to join us for dinner, but I hadn't planned on more than four, so there might not be very much food. Jeff said you can plan on him for Christmas dinner.
3. To have the intention of doing something. We're planning on having another baby as soon as we can move into a bigger house. I don't think he planned on staying in the same job for so long.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
plan on someone
to be ready for someone; to anticipate someone's arrival. Don't plan on Sam. He has a cold and probably won't come. We are planning on Ted and Bill.
plan on something
to prepare for something; to be ready for something; to anticipate something. If I were you, I would plan on a big crowd at your open house. This was not planned on.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. Have as an aim or purpose, as in We had planned on going to the movies after dinner.
2. Anticipate, prepare for, as in We planned on you to make a speech, or They hadn't planned on such a big crowd. [Early 1900s]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. To intend to do something: I plan on buying a house as soon as I get a promotion.
2. To anticipate or expect something: We planned on 50 people coming to our party, so we bought a lot of food. I didn't plan on being stuck in traffic for two hours.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.