pin your faith/hopes on somebody/something
pin (one's) hopes on (someone or something)
To have expectations that are tied to the success, performance, etc., of a particular person or thing. Why are we pinning our hopes on him when we know he's not popular enough to defeat the incumbent? I had pinned my hopes on this promotion, so I was crushed when I didn't get it.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
ˌpin your ˈfaith/ˈhopes on somebody/somethingput your trust in somebody/something; hope for somebody/something: He’s pinning his faith on the revival of the economy. ♢ The idea that he’ll be out of prison in five years is all she’s got to pin her hopes on.
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017
- pin (one's) hopes on (someone or something)
- pin one's hopes on
- pin one's hopes on, to
- pin faith on
- pin (one's) faith on (someone or something)
- a one-trick pony
- a rotten apple spoils the (whole) barrel
- a rotten apple spoils the (whole) bunch
- a bad apple spoils the (whole) barrel
- rotten apple spoils the barrel