pimp(redirected from pimp something)
1. noun A person who arranges for prostitutes to engage in sexual activity with people for money. Many female prostitutes suffer abuse at the hands of their pimps, but have no way of reporting it lest they lose their source of income.
2. verb To arrange or solicit sexual activity with a prostitute to someone. He was arrested for pimping in downtown Detroit. Their drug addictions had gotten so bad that Bradley started pimping Jennifer so they could pay for more dope.
3. noun, slang Someone, especially a man, who has a lot of sexual activity with other people. Primarily heard in US. I had a reputation of being a bit of a pimp among the guys in my dorm during college, but sleeping with so many different girls was actually just a way of coping with really low self esteem.
4. verb, slang To customize something with fancy decorations or flashy new equipment to make it look or perform much better than it did before. Primarily heard in US. I want to pimp my car with a souped-up engine and a really ballin' custom paint job.
1. verb To arrange or solicit sexual activity with a prostitute to someone. A noun or pronoun can be used between "pimp" and "out." Primarily heard in US. He was arrested for pimping out women in downtown Detroit. Their mutual drug addictions had gotten so bad that Bradley started pimping Jennifer out so they could pay for more dope.
2. verb, slang To customize something with fancy decorations or flashy new equipment to make it look or perform much better than it did before. A noun or pronoun can be used between "pimp" and "out." Primarily heard in US. I want to pimp my car out with a souped-up engine and a really ballin' custom paint job. She's used the money to pimp out her company with bleeding-edge computers, the most modern, sought-after art, and a floor plan that does away with classic trappings of standard office buildings.
dated slang A frankfurter; a hot dog. Primarily heard in US. Mom served us nothing but pimp steaks and baked beans for dinner each night while Dad was out of town.
1. slang An ornate or gaudy cane, as might be used by a stereotypical pimp. Primarily heard in US. Why do you walk around with that stupid pimp stick? You look absurd!
2. slang A wire coat hanger straightened and then bent over double, used as a weapon by a pimp to assault a prostitute. Primarily heard in US. When I asker her what had caused the markings on her arms and legs, she just muttered "a pimp stick," and wouldn't say any more.
3. dated slang A mass-produced, machine-rolled cigarette. Primarily heard in US. Back when I was working construction, we always gave guys crap for smoking pimp sticks on their break instead of the hand-rolled cigarettes the rest of us had.
4. dated slang A cigarette holder. Primarily heard in US. We all thought he looked a bit effeminate smoking so daintily from a pimp stick like that.
1. To dress or adorn someone in very stylish, flashy, or sexually attractive clothing or makeup. (In each usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "pimp" and "up.") Primarily heard in US. I'm taking my sister to the beautician and hair stylist to help pimp her up for her big date. Me and the boys always spend a bit of time getting pimped up before hitting the clubs.
2. To decorate or modify something in a very flashy or stylish manner. Primarily heard in US. Shawn's really pimped up his apartment. It looks super slick now!
3. To modify something with very expensive or high-end equipment or accessories. Primarily heard in US. I want to pimp my car up with some hydraulics, shiny alloy rims, and a banging sound system. She pimped up her computer with a top-level graphics card and one of the best CPUs on the market.
4. To make something stronger or more robust. Primarily heard in US. We need to pimp up our CCTV security system.
slang A car that is extremely flamboyant and gaudy in design and decoration, as might be driven by or associated with a stereotypical pimp. Primarily heard in US. I remember Uncle Terry used to drive this really tacky pimpmobile back when we were kids. He even had fuzzy dice hanging from the rearview mirror!
A small-time or low-level sex trafficker. The man turned out to be a popcorn pimp in Detroit, and he slowly roped Sarah into his game by plying her with drugs and booze in order to move up the ranks of the street hustlers. I ain't no popcorn pimp, so you'd better watch your mouth around me!
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
n. a man who solicits business for a prostitute. (Use caution with pimp and the topic.) The guy with the diamond rings looks like a pimp.
n. a hot dog; a wiener. (see also tube steak.) Oh, no! Not pimp steak again tonight.
n. a gaudy automobile, as might be driven by a pimp. (Use caution with pimp.) He drove up in a pimpmobile and shocked all the neighbors.
n. a pimp who runs a small operation. (Streets. Popcorn here means small; as in popcorn shrimp.) Reggie is nothing but a popcorn pimp. He’ll never amount to much.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.