pick up what (one) is putting down(redirected from picking up what I am putting down)
pick up what (one) is putting down
slang To understand what someone is saying, especially when something is insinuated, rather than stated directly. A: "I'm going to say that I'm busy on Sunday, and I think you should too." B: "I'm picking up what you're putting down—I don't want to go to this family reunion either!" If I see you around here again, there's going to be trouble. Are you picking up what I'm putting down?
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
- a busy bee
- (as) busy as popcorn on a skillet
- address (one's) comments to (someone or something)
- address comments or remarks to
- address (one's) remarks to (someone or something)
- (as) busy as a cat on a hot tin roof
- be (as) busy as a bee
- (as) busy as a one-armed paperhanger (with an itch)
- (as) busy as a bee
- as busy as a bee