Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
(as) phony as a three-dollar bill
Fake or illegitimate. This contract is phony as a three-dollar bill—there's no way they're offering us this much money without some sort of catch. I wouldn't trust Nelle, that girl is as phony as a three-dollar bill.
1. adjective False or fake; not genuine; counterfeit. He was caught selling phony Rolex watches beneath the Eiffel Tower. He said he was a police officer, but his uniform looks phony, if you ask me.
2. noun A person or thing that is fake, not genuine, or counterfeit. He was exposed by investigators as a phony trying to sell snake oil to his customers. If you look at the placement of the logo, you can tell that the computer is a phony.
*phony as a three-dollar billand *queer as a three-dollar bill
phony; bogus. (*Also: as ~.) This guy's as phony as a three-dollar bill. The whole deal stinks. It's as queer as a three-dollar bill.
(as) phony as a three-dollar billand (as) queer as a three-dollar bill
mod. phony; bogus. The whole deal stinks. It’s as queer as a three-dollar bill. Stay away from him. He’s phony as a three-dollar bill.
phony as a three-dollar billverb
1. mod. bogus; fake. This money looks phony to me.
2. n. someone or something bogus. Look here, you phony, get out of my office!
3. n. a phone call where the caller hangs up the minute the telephone is answered. No one was on the telephone. It was just a phony.