Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
(it's) nothing personal
(This is) not based on emotions, subjective motivations, or personal biases; (this is) not meant to offend you; (this is) not a personal slight against you. Though it can be truthful, this phrase often tends to be sarcastic, insincere, or unconvincing in usage or reception. Larry: "But how can you fire me after 20 years' service, just like that?" Matt: "Nothing personal, Larry, it's just the way the business is moving right now." It's nothing personal, Dad. I just think it would be easier for all of us if you weren't at the wedding. Nothing personal, but your voice is really getting on my nerves.
1. Positive traits unique to a specific person, especially in a business setting. A: "This managerial candidate had very glowing references, especially regarding her ability to motivate a team. " B: "Wow, it sounds like she would bring a lot of personal capital to the position."
2. One's authority or trustworthiness. Don't blow your personal capital as a respected physician by backing something that you know is a placebo.
up close and personal
1. adjective Very physically close to someone or something. Hyphenated if used before a noun. You'll have to get up close and personal to see all of the tiny details in the painting.
2. adjective Very intimate and personal, especially to an uncomfortable or unwanted degree. Hyphenated if used before a noun. I don't like it when guys try to get too up close and personal in our first couple of dates. I'd rather share my more intimate side with someone after we've been together for a little while. It will require an up-close-and-personal doctor's examination to be sure there aren't any signs of infection.
3. adverb In a very close and intimate manner or to such a degree. The auditors got to know our financial habits very up close and personal. The biologist has been investigating the dietary habits of the local bear population up close and personal, observing their movements and examining samples of their fecal matter.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
up close and personal
phr. intimately; more intimately than one might have wished for. (Colloq. The phrase has been the title of a movie and the name of a television show.) When my trunks slipped down, she got to know me a little more up close and personal that we were ready for at that moment.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.