perch on (something)(redirected from perched us on)
perch on (something)
1. To remain seated, poised, or balanced atop something. Often used in passive constructions. The cat perched on the limb of the tree, coolly watching the unfolding drama beneath it. I was perched on the beam for what felt like ages trying to keep the cables secure while the foreman ran for the correct bolts.
2. To cause someone or something to remain seated, poised, or balanced atop something. In this usage, a noun or pronoun is used between "perch" and "on." I perched the vase on the mantelpiece. She perched the child on the stool while she prepared lunch.
3. To be in a position of royal power. Almost always followed by the word "one's/the throne." The king takes vile pleasure in deciding the fates of his subjects as he remains perched on his throne. She perched on the throne following the death of her husband, the late King Edmund the Eighth.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
perch someone or something on something
to place, seat, or stand someone or something in a place. She perched the little girl on the edge of the tub. Walter perched his hat on the top shelf.
perch on something
1. [for a bird] to stand at rest on something. A robin perched on the branch by my window. We saw a parrot perched on some kind of flowering tree.
2. to sit or balance on something. I can't perch on this fence forever. Let's go. Sam was perched on the bicycle and he looked very uncomfortable.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.