pepper with(redirected from peppered me with)
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
pepper with (something)
1. To sprinkle, dot, or cover some surface thing with a lot of something. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "pepper" and "with." Birds have peppered the various statues with poo, making for some very unsightly tourist attractions. Their entire house has been peppered with the kids' toys—you can't walk anywhere without tripping over something!
2. To add a lot of something interspersed or intermixed into something else, especially something spoken such as a story, speech, lecture, etc. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "pepper" and "with." He always peppered his lessons with funny anecdotes and skits to help the students really engage with the material. My uncle can't tell a story without peppering it with various embellishments and mistruths.
3. To shower or rain down on someone or something with small projectiles or missiles. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "pepper" and "with." Riot police peppered the protestors with rubber bullets and tear gas.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
pepper someone or something with something
to shower someone or something with something, such as stones, bullets, etc. The angry crowd peppered the police with stones. The sheriff's posse peppered the bandit's hideout with bullets.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. To intersperse something with something else, especially to make it more exciting, interesting, or colorful: She peppers her stories with interesting details. Our vacation consisted of long days at the beach peppered with exciting trips to the city.
2. To sprinkle liberally with something; dot with something: The kids have peppered the backyard with lost marbles.
3. To be sparsely distributed across something; dot something. Used in the passive: The green plain was peppered with small yellow shrubs.
4. To attack someone or something with or as if with small missiles: The attackers peppered the castle wall with a hail of bullets.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.