pecker(redirected from peckers)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
keep (one's) pecker up
To maintain an optimistic, hopeful, or happy outlook on life, especially in the face of hardship or misfortune. Although "pecker" is a slang term for the penis, in this phrase it refers to the nose, by analogy with a beak. I know it's been a rough few months, but you have to keep your pecker up if you want things to improve! Come on, keep your pecker up, mate! There are plenty of other fish in the sea.
1. noun, vulgar slang A blow to a one's penis or crotch. "Pecker" is a vulgar slang term for a penis. Primarily heard in US. I threatened to give him a pecker slap if he didn't keep his hands to himself.
2. verb, vulgar slang To strike one's penis or crotch. Primarily heard in US. You shut your mouth, you hear? Don't make me pecker slap you!
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
keep your pecker upBRITISH, INFORMAL
If someone tells you to keep your pecker up, they are encouraging you remain cheerful in a difficult situation. This phase will soon pass; keep you pecker up, be careful and think hard. Note: You can also say that someone keeps their pecker up if they manage to remain cheerful. The Scot was doing his best to keep his pecker up. Note: `Pecker' was a slang term for the nose, comparing it to a bird's beak. If someone is unhappy, they tend to look downwards so that their nose points towards the ground.
Collins COBUILD Idioms Dictionary, 3rd ed. © HarperCollins Publishers 2012
keep your pecker upremain cheerful. British informal
Pecker is probably being used here in the sense of ‘a bird's beak or bill’, and by extension ‘a person's face or expression’. The phrase has been current in British English since the mid 19th century, but it has rather different connotations in the US, where pecker is an informal term for penis .
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017
1. n. the penis. (Usually objectionable.) He held his hands over his pecker and ran for the bedroom.
2. n. a stupid or obnoxious male. (Usually objectionable.) You stupid pecker! Get out of here!
1. n. an act of striking a male in the genitals. She pecker slapped him and watched him writhe in pain.
2. tv. to strike a make in the genitals. We’ll pecker slap those guys with every dodge ball we throw.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.