Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
patch (one) up
To treat someone's wound, injury, or illness. I know you're hurting, but the doctors here will patch you up. He's badly dehydrated from the vomiting, but I night in the hospital with an IV drip will patch him up.
patch (something) up
1. To mend, repair, or service something to the point of being functional or whole again, especially temporarily, typically by adding material to cover or connect broken or missing parts. The boat had a major gash in it after the accident, so we used some spare sheet metal to patch it up. John patched up the hose with an old bike tube.
2. To restore a relationship damaged by a disagreement or dispute. A: "Janet and I aren't talking anymore." B: "Oh sweetie, that's too bad. I hope you two can patch things up." I tried to patch up my dispute with Marcy, but she isn't ready to forgive me.
patch someone up
to give medical care to someone. That cut looks bad, but the doc over there can patch you up. The doc patched up my friend.
patch something up
1. Lit. to repair something in a hurry; to make something temporarily serviceable again. Can you patch this up so I can use it again? I'll patch up the hose for you.
2. Fig. to "repair" the damage done by an argument or disagreement. Mr. and Mrs. Smith are trying to patch things up. We patched up our argument, then kissed and made up.
Mend or repair, make whole. For example, He managed to patch up the lawn mower so it's running, or John cut his hand badly, but they patched him up in the emergency room, or Mike and Molly have patched up their differences. This term alludes to mending something by putting patches of material on it. [Second half of 1500s]
1. To mend or fix something that has separated or has holes by using some material to reconnect its parts: I patched up my jeans with that fabric. I bought a sewing kit and patched my jacket up.
2. To cover some hole or gap with some material: She patched up the hole in my jeans. He patched up the rip in the drapes.
3. To resolve some problem or conflict: The delegates must patch up their differences.