pass up(redirected from pass up (someone or something))
1. To skip, ignore, disregard, or reject (someone or something). A noun or pronoun can be used between "pass" and "up." I can't believe they passed up my idea! I know you're on a diet, but this pie is way too good to pass up. They passed Jim up for the promotion in favor of the boss's son.
2. To pass something forward to the front of the room, especially a classroom. A noun or pronoun can be used between "pass" and "up." OK, everyone, please pass up your assignments. I'll have them graded for you on Monday.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
pass someone or something up
1. to fail to select someone or something. The committee passed Jill up and chose Kelly. They passed up Jill.
2. to travel past someone or something. We had to pass the museum up, thinking we could visit the next time we were in town. We passed up a hitchhiker.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
Let go by, reject, as in I can't believe Betty passed up the chocolate cake, or This opportunity is too good to pass up. [Colloquial; late 1800s]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. To transfer something from a lower level to a higher one: I passed the can of paint up to my friend who was painting the ceiling. The help department passes up serious complaints to the main office.
2. To transfer something to the next member of a sequence: We cleared the earth by forming a line and passing up buckets of dirt. Each person signed the document and passed it up to the next person on the list.
3. To reject or refuse someone or something: I passed up a chance for promotion because I didn't want to move across the country. That job offer sounds very good—don't pass it up!
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.