pass (something) out(redirected from pass something out)
pass (something) out
To distribute something to others. Please pass these out to the rest of the class. The restaurant is passing out free samples of their food to people walking by.
pass something out (to someone)
to distribute something to someone. Please pass these out to everyone. Pass out these papers to everyone.
to faint; to lose consciousness. Oh, look! Tom has passed out. When he got the news, he passed out.
1. Distribute, as in He passed out the papers. [Early 1900s]
2. Also, pass out cold. Faint, as in When she heard the news she passed out cold. [Early 1900s] Also see out cold.
1. To lose consciousness: Some of the football players passed out from the heat. The bar owner had to throw out patrons who would pass out after drinking.
2. To go to sleep: I went home and passed out after a long day at work.
3. To distribute something: The teacher passed out the test results. Our troop leader passed the cookies out.