Also found in: Dictionary.
pass (something) down (to someone)
1. To give something from a higher position to someone at a lower position. Can be used either literally or figuratively. While you're up on the roof, would you pass the measuring tape down to me? I left it up there yesterday. Due to new regulations passed down to us from our managers, I'm no longer authorized to give refunds for any reason other than defective goods.
2. To pass something to the person next to one, so that it may then be passed to the next person, and so on. Pass these worksheets down the aisle, please. Take a card and pass the stack down to the person behind you.
3. To bequeath or bestow something to another person, especially a young sibling or other relation. Nearly all the clothes I had as a kid were passed down to me by my brother. Instead of throwing away those toys, why don't you pass them down to your cousin's kids?
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
pass something down (to someone)and pass something on (to someone)
1. to send something down a line of people to someone. (Each person hands it to the next.) Please pass this down to Mary at the end of the row. Pass down this box to Mary.
2. to will something to someone. My grandfather passed this watch down to me. He passed on the watch to me.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. To transfer something from a higher level to a lower one: I passed the can of paint down to my friend who was painting the window. The main office passes down simple requests to our help department.
2. To transfer something to the next member of a sequence: Each player takes one card and passes it down to the next player.
3. To bestow something to someone, especially a younger relative: I passed down my old clothes to my younger sister. My parents passed a strong work ethic down to all of my brothers and sisters.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.