part (one's) hair(redirected from parts her hair)
part (one's) hair
1. To comb or brush one's hair into two discernible sections, leaving a single clear division between them. I always used to part my hair straight down the middle, until someone in school said I looked like a dork. Why did you start parting your hair on the right like that?
2. To travel extremely close to one's head while passing by overheard. The bullet may have parted my hair, but it didn't leave so much as a scratch on me. The bird came diving toward me from the air, then parted my head as it flew past to snatch the food from Mary's hand.
3. Of a sound, to be extremely loud, forceful, or percussive. The flautist finished on an incredible high note that parted the hair of everyone in the audience. The blast parted our hair, but beyond that it didn't cause any harm.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
part someone's hair
1. Lit. to divide someone's hair into separate sections while combing it. The barber asked me where I parted my hair.
2. Fig. to come very close to someone. (Usually an exaggeration.) That plane flew so low that it nearly parted my hair. He punched at me and missed. He only parted my hair.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.