palm(redirected from palming)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
1. To conceal something in the palm of one's hand, as when stealing. When we were kids, we used to palm penny candies from the corner store all the time.
2. To receive something discreetly or in secret. It turns out that the governor had been palming percentages of profits from companies she'd given preference to. We're supposed to pool our tips and divide them at the end of the night, but it turns out that Daniel had been palming his the whole time.
3. To grasp a ball, typically a basketball, with one hand by extending the fingers around its surface. His hands were so big that he palmed the basketball like it was a baseball.
See also: palm
tv. to conceal something in the hand as in a theft or the performance of a magic trick; to receive and conceal a tip or a bribe. The kid palmed the candy bar and walked right out of the store.
- an itching palm
- an itchy palm
- bear the palm
- cross (one's) palm
- cross (one's) palm with silver
- cross palm
- cross palm with silver
- cross someone's palm with silver
- grease (one's) palm
- grease palm
- grease somebody's palm
- grease someone’s palm
- grease someone's palm
- have (someone) eating out of the palm of (one's) hand
- have (someone) in the palm of (one's) hand
- have somebody in the palm of your hand
- have someone eating out of your hand
- have someone in the palm of your hand
- hold (someone) in the palm of (one's) hand
- in the palm of (one's) hand
- in the palm of your hand
- itchy palm
- know like the palm of hand
- oil (one's) palm
- palm (something)
- palm (something) off (on one) (as something else)
- palm off
- palm someone/something off
- palm someone/something off on someone
- palm something off
- palm something off on someone