Also found in: Dictionary.
Related to pack away: pack someone
pack (something) away
1. To pack something into a container or enclosed space of some kind so that it may be stored or carried for future use. After the dinner party was over, they packed the good dishes and silverware away. I'm packing away my maternity clothes in case we decide to have another baby sometime in the future. I'm sorry, I already packed the toothpaste away for the trip. Isn't there another tube somewhere?
2. To eat a lot of something. Wow, that kids can really pack away the cake! He was so hungry that he packed two sandwiches away in about ten minutes.
pack something away
to pack something up and put it away. Pack this mirror away where it will be safe. Please pack away this mirror carefully.
1. To put something in a container for storage: We packed away the winter clothes for summer. After the trip, I packed my souvenirs away.
2. To fit into a container for storage: The shaving kit packs away easily into your suitcase.
3. To eat a large amount of something: We packed it away at the banquet. The kids really packed away those hot dogs!