pace(redirected from pacing)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to pacing: Cardiac pacing
To move or progress at a speed and rate that one is able to sustain until the act is completed. Pace yourself—if you start sprinting right at the beginning of the race, you'll run out of energy well before the finish line!
See also: pace
pace (something) off
To take even strides as a means of counting and marking a particular distance or measuring the distance of something. He paced off the perimeter of his property and determined it was roughly 80 meters in length. The two stood back to back and paced ten yards off in opposite directions.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. Lit. to measure a distance by counting the number of even strides taken while walking. He paced the distance out and wrote it down. He paced out the distance from the door to the mailbox.
2. Fig. to deal with a problem by pacing around. When she was upset, she walked and walked while she thought through her problem. When Ed came into the room, she was pacing a new crisis out. She usually paced out her anxiety.
off to mark off a distance by counting the number of even strides taken while walking. The farmer paced a few yards off and pounded a stake into the soil. He paced off a few yards.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
To move or make progress at a sensible or moderate rate.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- a change of pace
- at a snail's pace
- break one's back
- can't stand the pace
- change of pace
- do (something) at (one's) own pace
- do something at your own pace
- force the pace
- go through (one's) paces
- go through your paces
- handbags at six paces
- handbags at ten paces
- it is the pace that kills
- keep pace
- killing pace
- killing pace, a
- mend (one's) pace
- mend your pace
- off the pace
- pace (oneself)
- pace (something) off
- pace (something) out
- pace about
- pace around
- pace around hot porridge like a cat
- pace back and forth
- pace out
- pace the floor
- pace up and down
- pick up the pace
- put (one) through (one's) paces
- put (something) through its paces
- put one through paces
- put somebody/something through their/its paces
- put someone or something through their paces
- put someone through his or her paces
- put someone/something through their paces
- put through one's paces
- put through paces
- requiescat in pace
- set the pace
- snail's pace
- stand the pace
- stay the pace