Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to online: Online shopping
1. To become active or begin operating. We've had the building finished for days now, but we're still waiting for the power to come online. Hundreds of new factories are slated to come online over the next year, which will bring a much-needed boost to the economy.
2. To log onto the Internet, usually meaning some social communication service thereof. I'm just waiting for my dad to come online, I haven't spoken to him in weeks!
1. To become active or begin operating. Hundreds of new factories are slated to go online over the next year, which will bring a much-needed boost to the economy.
2. To log onto and use the Internet. I'm going online to see what movies are showing tonight.
See also: online
Connected to the internet or a local network, as on a computer, smartphone, video game console, etc. OK, you've been on line for far too long today. Put your shoes on and go play outside. Once the new server is on line, the website should be able to load about three times faster.
1. Go to in line.
2. Fig. connected to a computer or network. As soon as I get online, I can check the balance of your account. I was online for an hour before I found out what I wanted to know.
1. See in line, def. 2.
2. Actively linked to or operating a computer, as in They haven't got the printer on line yet, or Mark's been on line all morning. [Late 1900s] Also see go on, def. 9.