Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to online: Online shopping
1. To become active or begin operating. We've had the building finished for days now, but we're still waiting for the power to come online. Hundreds of new factories are slated to come online over the next year, which will bring a much-needed boost to the economy.
2. To log onto the Internet, usually meaning some social communication service thereof. I'm just waiting for my dad to come online, I haven't spoken to him in weeks!
1. To become active or begin operating. Hundreds of new factories are slated to go online over the next year, which will bring a much-needed boost to the economy.
2. To log onto and use the Internet. I'm going online to see what movies are showing tonight.
1. Connected to the internet or a local network, as on a computer, smartphone, video game console, etc. You've been online for far too long today. Put your shoes on and go play outside. Once the new server is online, the website should be able to load about three times faster.
2. Describing any activity done over the Internet. Online dating is the new normal when it comes to meeting people. It's interesting to see how online communication really adds to our lexicon.
The act of viewing and buying goods from an online retailer. Online shopping will be the death of my business. Do you know how much I pay in rent for my brick-and-mortar storefront? For the sake of my bank account, I don't do as much online shopping as I used to—it was getting just way too easy to spend money!
1. To purchase goods from an online retailer, as opposed to going to a physical location. For the sake of my bank account, I don't shop online as much as I used to—it was getting just way too easy to spend money! I was always suspicious of shopping online, afraid that my financial information would somehow get stolen.
2. To use the Internet to find or research potential purchases. Often followed by "for." Let's just shop online for a new table. I'd rather find something we like before going into any stores. You can save a lot of money on your insurance policy if you shop online for the best possible deals.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. Go to in line.
2. Fig. connected to a computer or network. As soon as I get online, I can check the balance of your account. I was online for an hour before I found out what I wanted to know.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.