keep the wolves from the door(redirected from one keeps the wolf from the door)
keep the wolves from the door
To do, acquire, or provide something that will allow one or something to narrowly avoid death, ruin, etc. We were extremely poor then, and begging for scraps was all I could do to keep the wolves from the door. This loan will keep the wolves from the door, but I'm worried it won't last long.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
- (one) won't hear of (something)
- (one) could use (something)
- a whole different animal
- a whole different ball of wax
- a whole different beast
- (something) to go on
- (I) wouldn't (do something) if I were you
- (one) never would have guessed
- (one) doesn't give a rip (about something)
- (one) doesn't give a hoot (about something)