on top of that
on top of that
Additionally; furthermore. Your performance has really been slipping over the past few months, and you're no longer meeting our expectations. On top of that, your appearance and attire in the office has been very unprofessional recently.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
on top of something
1. Fig. up-to-date on something; knowing about the current state of something. Ask Mary. She's on top of this issue. This issue is constantly changing. She has to pay attention to it to stay on top of things.
2. Fig. in addition to something. Jane told Bill he was dull. On top of that, she said he was unfriendly. On top of being dull, he's unfriendly.
3. Fig. victorious over something; famous or notorious for something. It was a close game, but the home team came out on top. Bill is on top in his field.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
on top of
1. In control of, fully informed about, as in The weeds were terrible, but the new gardener was soon on top of them, or Our senator always manages to be on top of the issues.
2. In addition to, following closely on, as in Several other benefits are being offered on top of a better salary, or On top of the flu Jane caught her sister's measles. [c. 1600]
3. Also, on top of one another. Very close to, crowded, as in I didn't see her until she was right on top of us, or In these condominiums people are living right on top of one another. [Mid-1900s]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
on top ofInformal
1. In control of.
2. Fully informed about: a senator who is always on top of the issues.
3. In addition to; besides: On top of this, several other benefits are being offered.
4. Following closely on; coming immediately after: Hail came on top of a violent thunderstorm.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.