on the/(one's) way out(redirected from on my way out)
on the/(one's) way out
1. Literally, in the process of leaving or about to leave some place. I'm actually on the way out just now, so we'll have to leave the meeting until tomorrow. The doctor rang just as we were on our way out the door.
2. Declining in status or popular opinion; becoming unfashionable or undesirable. As quickly as they became a worldwide phenomenon, fidget spinners are already on their way out. Thankfully it seems like such discriminatory practices are on the way out in recent years.
3. In the process of dying or about to die. Our dog is on her way out. The poor thing can't even stand up on her own anymore. I'm on the way out, so all that money won't do me a bit of a good.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
on the way out
1. About to go out, as in We were on our way out when the phone rang.
2. Going out of fashion, becoming obsolete, as in Full-size cars are on their way out.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
on the way out1 going down in status, estimation, or favour; going out of fashion. 2 dying. informal
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017