on the/(one's) way out(redirected from on my way out)
on the/(one's) way out
1. Literally, in the process of leaving or about to leave some place. I'm actually on the way out just now, so we'll have to leave the meeting until tomorrow. The doctor rang just as we were on our way out the door.
2. Declining in status or popular opinion; becoming unfashionable or undesirable. As quickly as they became a worldwide phenomenon, fidget spinners are already on their way out. Thankfully it seems like such discriminatory practices are on the way out in recent years.
3. In the process of dying or about to die. Our dog is on her way out. The poor thing can't even stand up on her own anymore. I'm on the way out, so all that money won't do me a bit of a good.
on the way out
1. About to go out, as in We were on our way out when the phone rang.
2. Going out of fashion, becoming obsolete, as in Full-size cars are on their way out.