Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia.
1. In one's possession and at one's disposal. Quick, how much cash do you have on hand? The only thing she had on hand to sell were here antique rings that her grandmother had given her.
2. Present and available. We have to make sure we have a third member of staff on hand in case we get really busy during the dinner rush. Thankfully law enforcement were on hand to apprehend the suspect before he was able to escape.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. In one's possession, available, as in The business needs to have enough cash on hand. [c. 1100]
2. Present, as in Jim was always on hand to help. [Mid-1800s]
3. Soon, imminent. See at hand, def. 2.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
on ˈhandnear and available; present: We have a doctor on hand in case of emergency.
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017
1. Present; available: Are there enough people on hand to hold a meeting?
2. About to happen; imminent: What is on hand for this evening?
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.