Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia.
1. In one's possession, available, as in The business needs to have enough cash on hand. [c. 1100]
2. Present, as in Jim was always on hand to help. [Mid-1800s]
3. Soon, imminent. See at hand, def. 2.
on ˈhandnear and available; present: We have a doctor on hand in case of emergency.
1. Present; available: Are there enough people on hand to hold a meeting?
2. About to happen; imminent: What is on hand for this evening?