Also found in: Dictionary.
1. A person who works primarily with large, numerous, or complex mathematical equations. I didn't realize you had to be a number cruncher in this job. I'm finding it really overwhelming! I leave the more serious computations to the number crunchers in the accounting department.
2. A computer capable of performing very large or complicated mathematical calculations. The company's newest number cruncher is designed to process huge amounts of data mined from millions of their customers.
3. A computer program designed to perform very large or complicated mathematical calculations. We used to process all these data manually, but eventually I decided to create a number cruncher to do it for us.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. n. someone who works with figures; an accountant. The number-crunchers are trying to get the annual report ready.
2. n. a large and powerful computer. (Computers.) They traded in the old computer for a powerful number-cruncher.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.