no good(redirected from not any good)
1. adjective Worthless; futile; no use. I'm telling you, it's no good complaining to a receptionist—you need to get a manager on the line.
2. adjective Poor or unsatisfactory in quality. I'm sorry to be blunt, but your writing is no good.
3. adjective Having no positive characteristics. Always hyphenated and used before a noun. That no-good brother of hers ran off with the money.
4. adjective Unfortunate; pitiable. A: "Unfortunately, John is sick with the flu." B: "Oh, that's no good. Tell him I hope he feels better."
5. noun Nothing worthwhile or useful. You can yell all you want, but it will do no good.
6. noun Malicious, harmful, or mischievous activity. What are you boys whispering about? You're up to no good, aren't you?
7. noun A negative or harmful outcome. You'll come to no good if you don't go to a doctor soon.
8. expression That is not what is needed; that will not work. A: "We have confectioner's sugar, will that work?" B: "No good. We need granulated sugar."
Unsatisfactory, inadequate; also, no use. For example, This work is no good; it'll have to be done over, or It's no good complaining since there's nothing we can do, or I tried to appeal to his sense of generosity, but it did no good. [Mid-1800s] Also see come to an end (to no good), def. 2; do any (no) good.
1. n. a worthless person. Tell that no-good to leave.
2. mod. worthless; bad. I have never heard of such a no-good car dealership before.
2. Futile; useless: It's no good arguing with them.