Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
do not hang noodles on my ears
Do not try to mislead me or fool me. Oh please, do not hang noodles on my ears—you clearly forged your mom's signature on this document! If you don't want to go, just tell me. Don't hang noodles on my ears and fake being sick.
noodle about (something)
To discuss, speak, or think about something in an idle, aimless, or purely speculative manner. ("Noodle" here is slang for head or brain.) He spent most of the party noodling about all these pseudo-philosophical ideas that just made him sound pretentious. When I came into the room, they had started noodling about the pros and cons of capitalism compared to socialism.
See also: noodle
1. To spend time investigating, perusing, or examining something. I could spend hours in the library just noodling around all the old books they have there. I think I'm going to noodle around the electronics section for a while.
2. To waste time idly (in some place). I don't want you in the house noodling around all weekend long. Why don't you kids go down to the mall and noodle around down there for an hour or two.
1. obsolete slang Tea. My throat's a bit sore, so I'm just going to get some noodle juice.
2. slang The water that remains after boiling noodles, especially ramen. Don't throw out the noodle juice! Just mix it with some vegetables, and you've got yourself a whole other meal!
To ponder, consider, or speculate about something. A noun or pronoun can be used between "noodle" and "over." ("Noodle" here is slang for head or brain.) As my mind wandered into daydream, I began noodling over the possibility of giving up my job and moving to Japan. I wanted a day or two to noodle over the deal before I agreed to anything.
use (one's) noodle
To use one's own intelligence and intellectual ability; to think logically and rationally. ("Noodle" here is slang for head or brain. Often said as an imperative.) Come on, Dean, I know you can figure this out on your own. Use your noodle for a change! I can't believe you were arrested for selling marijuana. What were you thinking? Why don't you use your noodle once in a while?
1. Someone who is not interesting or convivial, or who dampens other people's fun or enjoyment; a killjoy. More commonly called a "wet blanket." Don't invite Nicole to the party. She's such a wet noodle that she'll probably just sit around complaining the whole time. David was tired of being called a wet noodle by his friends just because he doesn't drink alcohol.
2. A weak, spineless, or cowardly person. We need someone strong to lead this company into the future, not some wet noodle who's afraid of confrontation. I always thought my dad was a bit of a wet noodle growing up, but I came to appreciate his empathy and humility as I got older.
3. vulgar slang A penis which is not or unable to become erect.
to wander around; to fiddle around with something. I couldn't find the instructions so I spent the afternoon noodling around, trying to find out how it worked. I noodled around until I found the right address.
noodle over something
Inf. to think about something. Let's noodle over this problem for a bit and discuss it at our next meeting.
use one's headand use one's noggin; use one's noodle
Fig. to use one's own intelligence. (The words noggin and noodle are slang terms for "head.") You can do better in math if you'll just use your head. Jane uses her noggin and gets things done correctly and on time. Yes, she sure knows how to use her noodle.
n. (one’s) head. Put your hat on your noodle, and let’s go.
Use your head!and Use your noggin! and Use your noodle!
exclam. Think!; Think it through! You know the answer. Use your head! Use your noggin’, dogg!
See also: use
Use your noodle!verb
See Use your head!
See also: use
n. a dupe; a wimp. Don’t be such a wet noodle. Don’t let them push you around.