nix(redirected from nixing)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. noun Nothing at all; zero. There was nix we could do about the foreclosure. I've got nix to say to her.
2. verb To reject, refuse, shut down, veto, etc. The board of directors nixed our proposal. I decided to nix the project before the costs ballooned any further.
1. interj. no. The man said nix, and he means nix.
2. exclam. No!; Stop it!; I disagree! (Usually Nix!) “Nix,” said Paul. “I can’t permit that.”
3. n. nothing. I got nix for a tip. And after I was so helpful!
4. tv. to put a stop to something; to say no to something; to ban something; to turn something down. I wanted to say a certain word in my speech, but the management nixed it.