pull an all-nighter
To remain awake all night long, especially so as to study or to complete something. I was a bit of a procrastinator in college, so I tended to pull a lot of all-nighters. Jeff pulled an all-nighter on Thursday to get his report finished for work by the deadline today, so I don't think he'll be coming out with us tonight.
See also: pull
1. The act of staying up all night to complete an activity, usually some kind of academic project. I'm going to have to pull an all-nighter if I'm going to get this term paper done in time for school tomorrow.
2. An establishment that remains open all night. Kyle and Amanda stopped at an all-nighter for a snack after the concert.
3. One who stays awake all night. Jess is a total all-nighter, so that third-shift job is perfect for her.
1. n. something that lasts all night, like a party or study session. After an all-nighter studying, I couldn’t keep my eyes open for the test.
2. n. a place of business that is open all night. We stopped at an all-nighter for a cup of coffee.
3. n. a person who often stays up all night. I’m no all-nighter. I need my beauty sleep, for sure.