nestling

(redirected from nestlings)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to nestlings: nesting, oarage, fledglings

nestle (up) to (someone or something)

To lean or lie against someone or something in a gentle, cuddly manner; to snuggle up to someone or something. The boy went over to the sofa and nestled up to his mother while they watched the movie. I love to nestle to this stuffed animal as I go to sleep at night.
See also: nestle

nestle (up) against (someone or something)

To lean or lie against someone or something in a gentle, cuddly manner; to snuggle up to someone or something. The boy went over to the sofa and nestled up against his mother while they watched the movie. I love to nestle against this stuffed animal as I go to sleep at night.
See also: nestle

nestle (up) into (someone or something)

To lean or lie into someone or something in a gentle, cuddly manner; to snuggle up to someone or something. The boy went over to the sofa and nestled up into his mother while they watched the movie. I love to nestle into this stuffed animal as I go to sleep at night.
See also: nestle

nestle down (in something)

To lean or lie down (into or on top of something) in a snuggly, cuddly, secure manner. After the kids were in bed and the house was tidied up, we finally nestled down in front of the television to chill out for a while. I love nestling down in bed at night after a long day of work.
See also: down, nestle
References in periodicals archive ?
It was noted that the more urban the environment, the higher the cholesterol of the resident crow nestlings. To directly assess the impact of human food, the researchers routinely provided a population of rural New York crow nestlings with McDonald's cheeseburgers and analyzed their blood cholesterol levels alongside those of neighboring crows that had to forage for themselves.
To directly test the effects of human food, the researchers also provided nestlings in a rural New York population with a regular supply of McDonald's cheeseburgers and compared their blood cholesterol levels with those of nearby crows who had to fend for themselves.
The researchers also tested the impact of human food by giving nestlings in rural New York state a regular supply of cheeseburgers.
The charity cared for more than 5000 fledgling and nestling birds last year - and 2019 looks set to be even busier.
In 2018 the charity cared for over 5,000 fledgling and nestling birds and 2019 looks set to be even busier.
"The first step is to identify whether the young bird is a nestling or fledgling.
Predation of White-crowned Sparrow nestlings by the Western Terrestrial Garter Snake in San Francisco, California.
Mean (+SD) clutch size was 3.73 + 0.79whileaverage incubation period and nestling period was 11.65 + 0.52 days and 11.89 + 0.68 days respectively.
During the breeding season eggs and nestlings are taken, which may be cold comfort to the Levys, but the birds are only doing what comes naturally, it is part of nature's cycle and overall has little effect on the population.
Understanding relative contributions of males and females during this critical period when both parents feed nestlings could contribute important information to our understanding of the feeding ecology and life history of owls and, in particular, to the long-standing debate (Mueller, 1986; Kruger, 2005) about the evolution of reversed sexual dimorphism (RSD; i.e., females larger than males).
In particular for faecal analysis, it is important to indicate whether droppings are obtained fresh, means directly from nestlings of known age (e.g.
Although nestlings in first or second down plumage are particularly vulnerable, adult birds can also be affected.
If it is a nestling, with few feathers, look for a nest nearby.
Out of 42 nestlings, 36 (85.71%) fledged and remaining 6 (14.29%) were lost.
They copulate in their nest until August then fly with their nestlings to other destinations," said a villager