Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. informal A dog that is a mix of breeds. That old hound is just a mutt. I think he's part spaniel, but I have no idea, really.
2. slang By extension, a person whose ethnic heritage is multifarious. Potentially offensive. My father is from Canada, but his own parents were from Japan, while my mother is South African with some Dutch heritage on her father's side. So, yeah, I'm a bit of a mutt.
3. slang A stupid or incompetent person; a fool. If you thought that plan would actually work, you're an even bigger mutt than I thought!
4. slang Deaf. The term comes from rhyming slang in which "mutt" is short for "Mutt and Jeff," which rhymes with "deaf." Primarily heard in UK. Can you please speak louder? I've gone a bit mutt as I've gotten older. Poor Grandad's quite mutt these days, so he's always got the radio blaring as loud as it'll go.
Mutt and Jeff
1. dated slang A nickname given to a pair of people, especially friends or partners, who have distinctly contrasting qualities, especially in height. The name derives from the long-running 1907 US comic strip of the same name. Two detectives arrived at my door, one a towering, lanky beanpole of a man, the other squat and stout, like a bulldog. A regular Mutt and Jeff, they were.
2. dated slang A method of police interrogation in which one of two interrogators behaves in an overtly aggressive and accusatory with a suspect, while the other acts much more supportive and sympathetic. More commonly known as "good cop/bad cop." How do you want to interrogate the suspect? Will we give him a bit of the ol' Mutt and Jeff routine?
3. slang Deaf. The phrase comes from rhyming slang in which "Mutt and Jeff" rhymes with "deaf." Sometimes written as "Mutt 'n' Jeff." Primarily heard in UK. Can you please speak louder? I've gone a bit Mutt and Jeff as I've gotten older. Poor Grandad's quite Mutt 'n' Jeff these days, so he's always got the radio blaring as loud as it'll go.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.