Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
1. rude slang A euphemistic shortening of "motherfucker." That's Shaft, the best private detective in town. He's one bad mother. Put the pedal to the metal and get this mother moving!
2. slang A striking, extreme, or extraordinary example or instance (of something). Used in the phrase "mother of (something)." There was a mother of a tornado bearing down on our town. Wow, that is the mother of all sandwiches. It's nearly a foot high!
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. n. marijuana. (see also mother nature(’s).) She grows her own mother in a pot in her room.
2. n. a drug dealer; one’s own drug dealer upon whom one depends. (Drugs.) If you can’t trust your mother, who can you trust?
3. Go to motherfucker (sense 3).
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
- (a bit) black over Bill's mother's
- (Do) you kiss your mother with that mouth?
- (Holy) Mother of God
- (mother) nature's (something)
- (one) could be (someone's) (parent/grandparent)
- (one) is old enough to be (someone's) (parent/grandparent)
- a face (that) only a mother could love
- a mother hen
- a mummy's/mother's boy
- and his mother
- apron strings
- at (one's) mother's knee
- at your mother's knee
- be mother
- be tied to (one's) mother's apron strings
- be tied to your mother's apron strings
- diligence is the mother of good luck
- dog's mother
- each and every one
- earth mother
- every man jack of us/them
- every man Jack/mother's son
- every mother's son
- every mother's son of them
- every Tom, Dick, and Harry
- everybody and his mother
- everybody and their mother
- everyone and his mother
- everyone and their mother
- expectant mother
- Experience is the father of wisdom
- experience is the mother of wisdom
- face only a mother could love
- founding mother (of something)
- he that would the daughter win must with the mother first begin
- He that would the daughter win, must with the mother first begin
- Hen-ree! Henry Aldrich! Coming, Mother!
- Henry! Henry Aldrich! Coming, Mother!
- like father, like son
- like father/mother, like son/daughter
- like mother, like daughter
- look (a bit) black over Bill's mother's
- Mother Carey is plucking her chickens
- mother lode
- Mother Monster
- Mother Nature
- mother nature's
- mother of
- mother of pearl
- mother's little helpers
- mummy's boy
- My Very Eager Mother Just Served Us Nachos
- My Very Eager Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas
- My Very Eager Mother Just Served Us Nine Pumpkins
- My Very Eager Mother Just Served Us Noodles
- My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nachos
- My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas
- My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Pumpkins
- My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Noodles
- necessity is the mother of innovation
- necessity is the mother of invention
- old enough to be (one's) mother
- old enough to be mother
- refrigerator mother
- Shall I be mother?
- she's the cat's mother
- some mothers do have them
- step on a crack, break your mother's back
- swear on (one's) mother's grave
- swear on a stack of Bibles
- sweet Mary(, mother of God)
- sweet Mary, mother of Jesus
- the cat's mother
- the mother and father of all (something)
- the mother country
- the mother of all
- the mother of all (something)
- the mother of something
- the/(one's) mother country
- the/(one's) mother tongue
- tied to (one's) apron strings
- tied to his mother's apron strings
- tied to mother's apron strings
- Who's she, the cat's mother?
- who's she—the cat's mother?
- your mother is a whore
- your mother tongue
- your mother wears army boots
- Your mother!
- your mother's, wife's, etc. apron strings