monkey around(redirected from monkeyed around)
1. slang A drug addiction. Did you hear? Pete checked himself into rehab to deal with the monkey on his back. I've been clean and sober for nearly five years, but that monkey is always there breathing down my neck.
2. A persistent burden or problem. This project is such a monkey on my back right now—I can't wait for it to be over. Trust me, don't get in debt. You don't want that monkey following you around.
3. informal A term of endearment, usually for a silly or mischievous child. You're such a silly little monkey! I turned those two monkeys loose outside so I could have a few minutes of peace while they run around.
4. slang A skilled laborer of a specialized craft or trade. Used in combinations. My parents were of course concerned when I decided to drop out of high school and become a grease monkey, but working on cars is my passion! My grandfather was one of the powder monkeys who helped blast through the rock with dynamite when they were building the Oroville Dam back in the late '60s.
5. ethnic slur A black person.
To waste time or procrastinate by doing something unproductive or unhelpful; to fool around or spend time idly. Would you quit monkeying around and give me a hand cleaning the house? I should have started this essay last week, but I've been monkeying around with my new video game console.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. n. a playful child. (Also a term of address.) Come here, you little monkey!
2. n. a drug addiction. (see also have a monkey on one’s back.) That monkey of mine is getting hungry again.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.