monkey(redirected from monkeyed)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
1. slang A drug addiction. Did you hear? Pete checked himself into rehab to deal with the monkey on his back. I've been clean and sober for nearly five years, but that monkey is always there breathing down my neck.
2. informal A persistent burden or problem. This project is such a monkey on my back right now—I can't wait for it to be over. Trust me, don't get in debt. You don't want that monkey following you around.
3. informal A term of endearment, usually for a silly or mischievous child. You're such a silly little monkey! I turned those two monkeys loose outside so I could have a few minutes of peace while they run around.
4. slang A skilled laborer of a specialized craft or trade. Used in combinations. My parents were of course concerned when I decided to drop out of high school and become a grease monkey, but working on cars is my passion! My grandfather was one of the powder monkeys who helped blast through the rock with dynamite when they were building the Oroville Dam back in the late '60s.
5. offensive slang A derogatory term for a Black person.
To waste time or procrastinate by doing something unproductive or unhelpful; to fool around or spend time idly. Would you quit monkeying around and give me a hand cleaning the house? I should have started this essay last week, but I've been monkeying around with my new video game console.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. n. a playful child. (Also a term of address.) Come here, you little monkey!
2. n. a drug addiction. (see also have a monkey on one’s back.) That monkey of mine is getting hungry again.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
- (as) artful as a wagonload of monkeys
- (as) clever as a wagonload of monkeys
- (as) funny as a barrel of monkeys
- (Well) I'll be a monkey's uncle!
- a monkey on your back
- a/the monkey on somebody's back
- as artful as a wagonload of monkeys
- as much fun as a barrel of monkeys
- barrel of monkeys
- be more fun than a barrel of monkeys
- brass monkey
- brass monkey weather
- brass monkeys
- cheeky monkey
- cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey
- don't monkey around with me
- every/a monkey knows what tree to climb
- fool around
- funny as a barrel of monkeys
- get (one's) monkey up
- get the monkey off (one's) back
- grease monkey
- have (one's) monkey up
- have a monkey on (one's) back
- have a monkey on one's back
- have a monkey on your back
- have got a monkey on (one's) back
- have your monkey up
- I don't/couldn't give a monkey's
- if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys
- I'll be a monkey's uncle
- I'll be a monkey's uncle!
- it's brass monkeys outside
- it's more fun than a barrel of monkeys
- juice monkey
- left-handed monkey wrench
- like a monkey doing a math problem
- like a monkey fucking a football
- like a monkey humping a football
- like a monkey on a stick
- like stink on a (monkey/skunk/pig/etc.)
- make a fool of
- make a monkey (out) of (someone or oneself)
- make a monkey of someone
- make a monkey out of
- make a monkey out of somebody
- make a monkey out of someone
- mess around with someone
- mess around with something mess about with something
- mess with
- mess with someone/something
- monkey about with (someone or something)
- monkey around
- monkey around with (someone or something)
- monkey around with someone
- monkey around with something
- monkey bars
- monkey bite
- monkey business
- monkey in the middle
- monkey off (one's) back
- monkey on (one's) back
- monkey on one's back
- monkey see, monkey do
- monkey suit
- monkey swill
- monkey talk
- monkey wagon
- monkey wards
- monkey with (someone or something)
- monkey with someone/something
- monkey wrench
- monkey wrench in the works, put/throw a
- monkey's allowance
- monkeys might fly out of my butt
- monkey's uncle
- monkey's uncle, I'll be/am a
- monkey's wedding
- more fun than a barrel of monkeys
- not give a monkey's
- not my circus, not my monkeys
- not your circus, not your monkeys
- organ grinder's monkey
- powder monkey
- put (one's) monkey up
- put a (monkey) wrench in(to) the works
- put a person's monkey up
- softly, softly, catch the monkey
- softly, softly, catchee monkey
- the organ grinder's monkey
- then I'm a monkey's uncle
- throw a (monkey) wrench in(to) the works
- throw a monkey wrench in the works
- throw a monkey wrench in(to) (something)
- throw a monkey wrench into
- throw a wrench into the works
- when the tree falls, the monkeys scatter
- you can take the monkey out of the jungle...