Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
get (one's) mitts on (something)
To acquire something or have something in one's possession. "Mitts" is a slang term for hands. I hear Johnny got his mitts on a bunch of new comic books—let's go check 'em out! We nearly got our mitts on the championship, but the referee disallowed our last goal.
A rejection or dismissal, usually of a suitor. We had no chemistry on our date, so I had to give the icy mitt to him.
See also: mitt
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
get your mitts onobtain possession of. informal
Mitt , an abbreviation of mitten , is an informal term for a person's hand that dates back to the late 19th century.
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017
n. a hand. The kid’s got mitts on him like a gorilla.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
- get (one's) mitts on (something)
- get your mitts on
- a/the feel of (something)
- (I) wouldn't (do something) if I were you
- (have) got something going (with someone)
- a straw will show which way the wind blows
- a slew of (something)
- a crack at (someone or something)
- (one) could use (something)
- (you) wanna make something of it?