miraculous(redirected from miraculously)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to miraculously: Miraculous Medal
bell, book, and candle
1. A method of putting a curse on someone. The phrase refers to the implements once used when someone was excommunicated from the Roman Catholic Church. I'll go after him bell, book, and candle if he threatens my family again.
2. Items that are symbolic or indicative of the strange or miraculous. She's the type of person who will come over with bell, book, and candle to try to bring about positive changes in your life.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
bell, book, and candle things that are miraculous or that signal that something
unusual or bizarre may soon happen. (Alluding originally to the items used when performing the rite of excommunication from the Roman Catholic Church.) Look, I can't work miracles! Do you expect me to show up at your house with bell, book, and candle, and make everything right? You have to take charge of your own destiny! On the top shelf of the tiny used-book store, Jim saw a bell, book, and candle sitting in a row, and he knew he was going to find some very interesting reading material.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
bell, book, and candlea formula for laying a curse on someone.
This expression alludes to the closing words of the rite of excommunication, ‘Do to the book, quench the candle, ring the bell’, meaning that the service book is closed, the candle put out, and the passing bell rung, as a sign of spiritual death.
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017
- bell, book, and candle
- bell, book, and candle things that are miraculous or that signal that
- be out of (one's) league
- be out of somebody's league
- accompany (one) on a/(one's) journey
- accompany on a journey
- (one) puts (one's) pants on one leg at a time
- a stranger to (someone or something)
- be in bad with (someone)
- be (not) a patch on