mess(redirected from messing)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
1. colloquial To soil (something) with feces. Primarily heard in US. I was so scared, I nearly messed my pants! Mom, I think Timmy's messed his diaper!
2. To behave in a foolish, disruptive, or frivolous manner; to mess around. Primarily heard in Ireland. Kids, you'd both better stop messing and get that playroom tidy! If you spent more time working and less time messing, we'd have gotten this done already!
3. To tease or play a prank (on someone); to joke around (with someone). Primarily heard in Ireland. Come on, stop messing. There's no such thing as ghosts! Ah, don't get upset—I was only messing!
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. n. a hopeless, stupid person. The guy’s a mess!
2. n. dung. (Usually with a.) There’s a mess in Jimmy’s diapers, Mom.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
- (as) messed up as Hogan's goat
- a hell of a mess
- a hot mess
- a mess of pottage
- and no messing
- Benjamin's mess
- fool around
- get into a mess
- get out of a mess
- get out of a/this/that mess
- hell of a mess
- lose the number of (one's) mess
- make a hash of
- make a mess
- make a mess (out) of (something)
- make a mess of
- make a mess/hash of something/of doing something
- mess (one's) face up
- mess about
- mess about with (someone or something)
- mess about with someone
- mess around
- mess around mess about
- mess around with (someone or something)
- mess around with someone
- mess around with something mess about with something
- mess face up
- mess of
- mess of (something)
- mess of pottage
- mess over
- mess someone over
- mess someone up
- mess someone’s face up
- mess up
- mess with
- mess with (one's) head
- mess with (someone or something)
- mess with someone/something
- mess with someone's head
- mess with the bull and you get the horns
- messed up
- no messing
- sell (one's) birthright for a mess of pottage
- sell (something) for a mess of pottage
- sell something for a mess of pottage