match (someone or something) (up) with (someone or something else)(redirected from matched her with)
match (someone or something) (up) with (someone or something else)
1. To match two people or two things together to face off in a challenge or competition. For the first round of the tournament, they matched Karen with the three-time state champion. For this comparison review, we've matched the new Samsung Galaxy up with the latest iPhone.
2. To compare someone or something to someone or something else to see if the two correspond correctly. They'll match your name up with the guest list to see if you're allowed inside the party. Go down to the warehouse and match the inventory list with what you find down there.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
match someone (up) (with someone)and match something (up) (with something)
to pair people or things. I will match Carl up with Kelly and George with Jane. I will match up Carl with Kelly.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. To be the same as, comparable with, or in agreement with something: The results of our study matched with the previous results perfectly.
2. To compare something with something else to see whether their parts correspond: Match your scorecard with mine to see whether there is any disagreement.
3. To set someone or something in competition with someone or something else: I don't know why they matched us with a team that is so much stronger than we are; we'll only lose.
See also: match
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.