Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
match (someone or something) (up) with (someone or something else)
1. To match two people or two things together to face off in a challenge or competition. For the first round of the tournament, they matched Karen with the three-time state champion. For this comparison review, we've matched the new Samsung Galaxy up with the latest iPhone.
2. To compare someone or something to someone or something else to see if the two correspond correctly. They'll match your name up with the guest list to see if you're allowed inside the party. Go down to the warehouse and match the inventory list with what you find down there.
1. verb To be identical to, comparable to, or compatible with someone or something; to match. These two match up perfectly—they must come from the same batch. Joan and I match up really well even though we have very different personalities.
2. verb To join things together or arrange them so that they correspond, harmonize, or fit together in some way. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "match" and "up." Match up your end to mine and then we'll fold it diagonally. Tiffany and Tina like to match up their costumes every year with the same theme. If you find the puzzle piece I'm looking for, try matching it up to this one.
3. verb To form a pair with another person. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "match" and "up." OK, everyone, please find a partner and match up.
4. verb In a competition, to pit against or be pitted against an opponent. They have Danny matched up against their fastest player, so he'll need some help. Let's take a look at how these two teams match up.
5. verb In a competition, to have a similar skill level as or have the ability to compete with someone in an effective way. They have a better record, but I think we match up really well against these guys.
6. noun In a competition, the pitting of one opponent against another. In this usage, the phrase is usually hyphenated or spelled as one word. These are both strong teams, so tonight's game will be all about the individual matchups.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
match someone (up) (with someone)and match something (up) (with something)
to pair people or things. I will match Carl up with Kelly and George with Jane. I will match up Carl with Kelly.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
- a marriage made in heaven
- a marriage/match made in heaven
- a match made in heaven
- a match made in hell
- a match of two halves
- a shouting match
- a slanging match
- be more than a match for (someone or something)
- be no match for
- be no match for somebody/something
- find (one's) match
- find/meet your match
- game, set, (and) match
- hatch, match, and dispatch
- hatches, matches, and despatches
- love match
- man of the match
- match (one) stride for stride
- match (someone or something) (up) with (someone or something else)
- match (someone or something) against (someone or something else)
- match (someone or something) in (something)
- match against
- match day
- match for
- match for (someone or something)
- match in
- match point
- match up
- match up (someone or something) with (someone or something else)
- match up to
- match up to (someone or something)
- match up with (someone or something else)
- match with
- match wits
- match wits (with one)
- meet (one's) match
- meet match
- meet one's match
- meet one's match, to
- meet your match
- mix and match
- pissing match
- play matchmaker
- rubber match
- shitting match
- shouting match
- slanging match
- strike a match
- the carpet matches the drapes
- the carpets match the drapes
- the drapes match the carpet
- the man of the match
- the whole enchilada
- the whole shebang
- the whole shooting match
- three on a match
- throw a/the match
- whole ball of wax, the
- whole shebang
- woman of the match