mark down(redirected from marked down)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
1. verb To record or make a note of something, typically by making a mark of some kind with a writing utensil or digitally. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "mark" and "down." Did you mark down my score for that last round? Sure, mark me down for a $20 donation.
2. verb To reduce the price of something. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "mark" and "down." Would you be willing to mark it down a little? I'm trying to stick to a budget. Those bananas have all been marked down because they're starting to turn brown.
3. verb To subtract points from an overall score due to an incorrect answer, poor performance, etc. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "mark" and "down." The gymnast is definitely going to see her score marked down for several small infractions. I would have had a perfect score, but the teacher marked it down for a few spelling mistakes.
4. noun A discount, or a discounted item. In this usage, the phrase is usually hyphenated or written as one word. I always go to the sale rack in the back to take a look at the markdowns. Do they ever offer any mark-downs, or are their prices always the same?
mark someone down
[for a teacher] to give someone a low score. He'll mark you down for misspelled words. I marked down Tom for bad spelling.
mark something down
1. Lit. to write something down on paper. She marked the number down on the paper. She marked down the number.
2. Fig. to reduce the price of something. We are going to mark all this merchandise down next Monday. We marked down the merchandise.
Reduce the price of something, as in If they mark down these shoes, I'll buy two pairs. The mark here alludes to the label indicating a price. [Mid-1800s]
1. To write a description or symbol for something observed; make a note of something: I marked down the characteristics of every bird I saw in the woods. Did you mark the directions down?
2. To lower the price of something offered for sale: The department store marked down all of its shoes last week by 20 percent. The baker marks the bread down an hour before closing.