march to (the beat of) (one's) own drum(redirected from marches to the beat of our own drums)
march to (the beat of) (one's) own drum
To do something, act, or behave in a manner that does not conform to the standard, prevalent, or popular societal norm. My brother's eschewed the idea of a full-time career and has had every oddball job you could think of, but then he's always been happy marching to the beat of his own drum. Look, I respect the fact that you like to march to your own drum, but do you have to make a point of doing everything in a counter-cultural way?
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
march (from some place) (to some place)
to move along, walking with purposeful steps, from some place to some place. The army marched from one town to another. They marched to the battlefield from town.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
- march to (one's) own beat
- march to (the beat of) a different drum
- march to a different beat
- march to (the beat of) a different tune
- march to a different tune
- march to a different drummer
- march to a different drummer/drum
- march to (the beat of) a different drummer
- march to (the beat of) a different drummer, to