Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
(male) chauvinist pig
A man who treats women as a whole as being lesser in intelligence, talent, or competence in comparison to men; a man who puts more value on a woman's looks or abilities as a homemaker than as an equal member of society. I know it makes me sound like a male chauvinist pig, but there are some activities in the world that men are simply better at than women—blame biology, not me! He kept making lewd comments about my body, but it was when he implied I'd only be useful in the kitchen that I realized he was a complete chauvinist pig.
1. The dominant male in the social hierarchy of an animal group. Emerging research on animal groups suggests that alpha males may have more complex roles than previously thought.
2. By extension, a man who asserts dominance socially and professionally, typically by assuming leadership roles and easily acquiring sexual partners. He walks into the room with such confidence that you immediately know he's an alpha male.
1. In the social hierarchy of an animal group, a male occupying a position secondary to the dominant "alpha male." Emerging research on animal groups suggests that beta males may have more complex roles than previously thought.
2. By extension, a man comfortable with engaging in non-stereotypical male behaviors and having personality traits that contrast with the stereotypically dominant and aggressive "alpha male." In this usage, the term is used positively or affectionately. I really like that David is so chill. He's a real beta male, and I'm into it.
3. A derisive term for a man regarded as passive or weak (in contrast to the "alpha male"). I can't believe Mike lets his girlfriend tell him what to do—what a beta male.
1. The perceived inability of men to see, understand, or appreciate the struggles or difficulties faced by women in society. The incredulity so many men express regarding the pervasive pay gaps between men and women of similar roles is indicative of the male blindness that is still so entrenched in our society. It isn't malicious or intentional, it's simply that the comparative lack of harassment faced by men on a day-to-day basis leads to male blindness about how intrinsic it is in the life of a woman.
2. The perceived tendency of a man to focus solely on or be completely distracted by the physical attributes of women. I was chatting up a really cute guy at the bar, but as soon as that busty, scantily clad brunette came walking through the doors, he suddenly came down with a bad case of male blindness.
The rendering of art, literature, etc., from the perspective of and for the consumption of heterosexual males, especially characterized by the depiction of women as passive objects of desire and pleasure. The phrase was coined by film theorist Laura Mulvey. The male gaze will continue to dominate media until more and more women artists challenge the paradigm.
The preponderance of power and opportunities available to men in society. (In common usage, the term is restricted to men who conform to normative masculinity.) Male privilege means you can walk down the street without giving a second thought to your safety.
proverb An initialism of "male chauvinist pig," a man who considers and treats women as being lesser in intelligence, talent, or competence in comparison to men, especially by placing more value on a woman's looks or abilities as a homemaker than as an equal member of society. I know it makes me sound like an MCP, but there are some activities in the world that men are simply better at than women—blame biology, not me!
1. The male occupying the lowest position in the social hierarchy of an animal group. Emerging research on animal groups suggests that omega males may have more complex roles than previously thought.
2. A man who feels powerless and, as a result, does not actively work toward improving his life. He's a real omega male—he's unemployed, single, and miserable, and not doing anything to change that.
present as (someone or something)
1. To act or seem to be identifiable as a particular sex, gender, or sexual orientation. You're less likely to get harassed if you present as a heteronormative man. When I presented as female, people definitely didn't see me as an authority figure.
2. To depict, portray, or describe someone, something, or oneself as a particular kind or type of person or thing. In this usage, a noun or pronoun is used between "present" and "as." The film presents the dictator as a benevolent but misunderstood leader. She was arrested for presenting herself as a lawyer to several people, offering discreet legal help in exchange for large fees.
See also: present
the female of the species is more deadly than the male
proverb Women are dangerous. The phrase implies that women are more dangerous than men, likening them to animal species in which the female is more powerful or aggressive than the male. The phrase comes from Rudyard Kipling's 1911 poem, "The Female of the Species." Jane might look tiny, but she's a tough broad, and she brings that old saying to mind—the female of the species is more deadly than the male.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
female of the species is more deadly than the male
Prov. In many animal species, the female is poisonous and the male is not, and, by analogy, women are more dangerous than men. Bill: My old girlfriend's been threatening me ever since I broke up with her, but she's too small and weak to do me any harm. Fred: I'd be careful if I were you. The female of the species is more deadly than the male.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
n. the imagined failure on the part of a male to see approaching dangers owing to the male’s eyes being focused on a some well-proportioned female attribute. After an attack of male blindness, he walked into a lamppost.
MCPand male chauvinist pig
n. a male who acts superior to and aggressively toward women. (From the woman’s liberation movements of the 1970s.) The guy is just a male chauvinist pig, and he’ll never change. That’s you! Walter L. Waddington, MCP.
male chauvinist pigverb
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.